Molecular Solutions for Cosmetics
QACS uses DNA technology to provide fast & cost effective cosmetic testing services to the personal care industry. Our molecular services on Microbiome analysis, Microbiological surveillance and Authenticity testing for cosmetics make sure your product is safe, is absent of pathogen and substantiate your cosmetic product claims.
With 20 years of clinical efficacy testing experience and technical know-how of molecular biology tools, QACS offers cosmetic skin Microbiome testing in the form of clinical trials to substantiate product microbiome claims. Our dedicated team of scientists (dermatologists, microbiologists, molecular biologists and bioinformatician) offers variety of clinical evaluation options to address your product needs and budget in the form of customized protocols.
The first step to resolve a microbiological issue is correct Microorganism Identification. QACS provides accredited Microorganism Identification to benefit Quality Assurance & Quality Control processes. Species level Identification for Bacteria, Yeasts and Fungi is provided for investigation of the microbiological origin and analysis of the deeper causes. Information on the ecology, classification, growth conditions and possible sources and pathogenesis are also given. The identification is offered in the shortest possible time using DNA technology (Sanger Sequencing).
DNA identification techniques are considered more reliable than other methods e.g. APIs, MALTI TOF or other immunochemical methods.
Worldwide pathogenic bacteria are a growing public health concern. We perform fast (24h) and accurate pathogen detection via Real Time PCR to ensure product safety.
Pathogenic bacteria of the genus Salmonella, Listeria, Shigella and others after enrichment are detected in 24h via Real Time PCR.
QACS Lab provides accredited screening testing methods for the identification of pork DNA at very low levels (HALAL) in cosmetics with Real Time PCR.
Botanical authenticity for personal care products assists manufacturers and R&D organizations provide assurance into the sourcing of natural ingredients. QACS performs botanical authenticity for cosmetics with a sensitive and reliable molecular method, DNA Barcoding or Next Generation Sequencing.
Τhe MMS approach from QACS, combines the long standing microbiology experience of our experts on plant and production areas. With the power of NGS and metagenomic analysis you can accurately :
- Map and monitor the complete microbiome of your production facility.
- Pinpoint pathogens and contaminants in the environment.
- Identify their routes and biofilms.
- Track their sources proactively.
- Gain full insight of the microbial populations in your production environment before it affects your products.
- Use the data retrospectively to identify possible sources of contamination in case of QC failure.
Untargeted approach: You only find what you look for…
Although bacteria can be found anywhere, their presence in production environments, such as cosmetics/drug manufacturing and food processing plants, poses a constant threat.
When harmful or spoilage bacteria enter a product, QA/QC managers face a huge challenge to control/prevent recalls. Since production processes nowadays are well designed and automated, to control unwanted bacteria, you mostly need to control the environment of your production.
The classical approach with swabs and culture plates only detects a limited number of microorganisms that are able to grow in the conditions used, and with a variable performance. Their results are often difficult to interpret or even meaningless.
MMS gives an untargeted approach to this procedure revealing the full picture:
- Samples are taken from all important sources in the production environment.
- Total DNA is isolated from all samples and sequenced with NGS.
- The full depth of the microbiome of each sample is revealed from each sample analysis.
- Combining the results of each sample a full microbiome map of the production environment is revealed.
- Metadata analysis, heatmaps and most of all our expert’s insight results in a comprehensive report with clear interpretation of the finding and suggestions for corrective actions.